Monday 15 November 2010

Early to rise, late to bed

Abbey Fields on a rainy day
Today I got up exceptionally early for me. 5:45 AM. Eve woke up first, then she woke Sophie up. Granted they both have colds and their airways being plugged do not allow them to sleep soundly, but still...since I started working in the evening, Levi has been on night shifts at home. I thought that the kids would have gone over their jet lag by now, but Eve, being Eve, she is still adjusting to the move (so am I) and to her new surroundings (or maybe I am just in denial that she still needs the reassurance of her mom's presence, especially since I am not home at dinner and bedtime). Sophie has always been an exceptionally great sleeper, until she's been in the same room as her sister whose nightlife wakes her up. Ok, just saying that I have been known to sleep in until 9-10 while Levi gets ready for school, feeds the kids breakfast and makes sure that they have some movie playing for the next hour after he leaves for school. By the time I make it out of bed, the house is a mess and I spend the rest of the day cleaning it up until I leave for work to get home around midnight. You get the picture.

So I am very PROUD of myself for getting up early, making breakfast, doing the dishes, and making the grocery list before 8 AM.

It's never a good sign when I neglect posting on my blog. It either means that I am overwhelmingly busy or worse. These past couple months, I have been worse. I know that I can be overly dramatic at times, but it seems we are living through the hardest times of our lives. Things have not been going as planned in so many ways. We have doubted our decision to live in England and even to go to medical school several times, but I also got extremely homesick for Utah. Moving to another country where you've never lived before is hard. It reminded me of when I first moved to the States to live with my sister. The first few weeks, I was excited to meet new people, to try new foods, ride in big cars, and catch up with my sister and her family. But after I settled, it was back to normal life and responsibilities: applying for a SS#, looking for a job, having some socially awkward moments while trying to make friends, and having to ask for rides to go anywhere.

However, we have had some good moments here and there. It helps having a family: Levi and the girls always manage to cheer me up. I also thank our branch for keeping me sane. Having a calling has kept me thinking of others when I felt most sorry for myself.

Here's some proof that we are actually making the most of our new home:
Shakespeare's childhood home in Stratford-Upon-Avon

Levi and Hamlet: constant indecisiveness

It's looking a lot like Christmas

Add caption
The signature double-decker

Walking her bike up the hill
Celebrating my B-day with great friends

8 comments:

Ben and Summer said...

Hey Annabelle!

Hang in there. I know it's tough. You are awesome and you guys are going to get through this. Praying, reading scriptures, having FHE, those are the glue that will hold you together. (Our own glud needs some work, that's why I know:)
Your job is rough, it's got to be hard on the whole family for you to be gone during that time. Darn those English banks for not doing student loans! I don't know what they're thinking... Anyway, we love you and are praying for you from the States!

Crystal and Rosario said...

I wish I could give you a hug. I'm sorry it has been tough lately. You are so amazing and I just love how you try to have a positive attitude even when things are tough. Sending you lots of hugs!

Jill said...

We too recently have gone through a series of bumps in the road. I was talking to my mom and she said something that has really helped me. She simply said, "Everything has an end." Working late nights, medical school, I'm crossing my fingers on the terrible 2's... eventually things will not be how they are now. It's just hard to remember that when you are in the middle of it. Or that you thought it was a good thing to go along with all these bumps in the beginning, before you knew they would be bumps. I often have to remind myself that we felt good about medical school - it really is work for the whole family! I hope the next couple of weeks start to look a little brighter as you feel more settled and learn the ins and outs of living in a new place!

Angie Judd said...

I'm so sorry it's been so rough. I sooo wish I could be there. It will get easier. One of our new favorite sayings around here is "I can do hard things." I tell myself that over and over when I am faced with something that pushes me out of my comfort zone.
You will get through this cuz you can do hard things. And you will look back on it and realize what a stronger person it made you.
Hang in there. Love you!

Rachel Ann said...

Sorry I have kind of been MIA since you moved. I am not keeping in as good contact as I would like. I deleted facebook so I guess I will just need to start emailing. Have you guys set up skype? It would be fun to chat sometime. Anyway.... we miss you all very much. Jacob still carries around his keychain with the picture of Eve and Jared on it. I know he misses her. He said to me the other day, "Mommy, I want to move across a big ocean and live where Eve lives." So cute. I will email you soon.

Stanca said...

Oh, I totally understand how you feel, having been through a very similar thing myself. How about if we really plan to get together and talk... Andrei and I could come over one day after he gets home from nursery. I'd be happy to help with housework. :-)
You're great, I'm glad to have you here! xx

Tiffanie said...

Anabelle! We miss you guys so much! It makes me sad to hear you're struggling a little over there. I wish I could be there to give you a big hug! Just know that I think you're amazing for being able to handle such a transition so well. And for being able to juggle work and motherhood while having a med school husband.
Chloe misses Eve. She always asks me why Eve is so far away and then tells me she wants to go visit her in England.
We love you guys!

Selway Family Blog said...

Best caption ever on Levi and Hamlet!