Friday 25 February 2011

London, Baby!

 A week before we left for the States, I had the chance to spend a day in London where I met with one of my best friends who was on her way to Paris coming back from Vietnam. It was a once in a lifetime opportunity. I found out the night before that she was stopping in London and didn't really plan this trip: I love doing something in the spur of the moment!

It was so liberating to go on this adventure on my own, no kids on tow. As much as I love being a mom, traveling and exploring a city like London with young children is more a nightmare than a dream come true! So I left early morning, without a diaper bag or PB&J sandwiches or sippy cups, feeling like I had forgotten or lost something.

Since I had some extra time before meeting up with my friend, I took the Underground and went to the British Museum (which is free, by the way) and took some random touristy pictures:
A traditional double-decker

St Pancreas

The British Museum

Statue of Gandhi
 Once we were reunited, we opted to go to China Town, which consists of one street in the middle of town, where we ate at a sushi restaurant. The menus were written in mandarin, so I was not quite sure what I was ordering, but my friend, being a regular, helped me out so I would avoid ordering something too exotic ;)
My dear friend and her brother


  After a great lunch and even better conversation, we strolled in the main avenues and ended our promenade in Harrod's.

FYI: this phone booth had a terrible stench of pee, so I had to hold my breath for the picture
Fountain in Harrods with a display of raw fish (?)
 Harrod's is the chicest store in London and it has a strict dress code. You are not allowed to wear your backpack, you have to carry it in your hand. This is what I found on Trip Advisor: It prohibits: "...ripped jeans, high cut Bermuda or beach shorts, swim wear, athletic singlets, cycling shorts, flip flops or thong sandals, dirty or unkempt clothing." Furthermore "Any extremes of personal presentation are prohibited as are bare feet and exposed midriffs." Ironic that Harrods may SELL some of these same fashions.
A dreamy princess cake: look at the price tag, close to 3,200 dollars!

Chocolate shoes and purses: to die for!

Fruit made out of marzipan (this one is for my sister who loves marzipan)
 Finally, we bought some Harrods cheesecake and since it was close to closing, it was buy one get one free!
I saved a piece for Levi who stayed home with the kids while I was having fun! Thanks, love!
There is so much more to see in London, but that was all I was able to do in one day. I would love to go back and spend 3-4 days discovering London, but it's even better if you go with someone who is familiar with the city.

3 comments:

Jennifer Lyn said...

That brought back memories of when I went to London. We got kicked out of Harrods because my friend had holes in her jeans. So we bought new ones and then were mad when we had to pay to use their restroom. Oh Herrods. Glad you had fun!

Natalie R. said...

I would love to go back to London someday, it's such a great city!! I'm glad you had a chance to see it without kids, that's a miracle in and of itself. ;0)

Ian said...

I am so glad I got to catch up with you! I really enjoyed your honest posts! It's funny b/c I think everyone think everyone else is doing so much better than they are...and of course the same goes with what I always thought of you! Though I am still not convinced that you are not perfect! I am glad that we are neighbors again, and I would love to see you when I am in Utah again!