Wednesday 30 November 2011

New goals

Ok, so who wants to hear about my new goals? Yeah, I know it's a bit early for goal setting, but I figure it will get me in the right mindset :) So this year I have been doing a lot of running! I finally figured out how to run faster and won 1st place in two 5 Ks. I have an amazing running partner who runs with me three times a week at 6:30 AM and I go to the gym provided by our apartment complex to do interval runs on the treadmill and lift weights on the days I do not run. All in all, I feel really good and it permeates my overall mood, as I am a much happier wife and parent.

So, now that I have run plenty 5Ks and 10Ks, a couple half-marathons, and a few full-length marathons, I feel like I need to crank it up a notch. I mean, it's time to find a challenge to push myself even further. So...I am going to start training for triathlons. My ultimate goal would be to become an Ironman...but I have a ways to go :)

In the meantime, I feel that I am passionate enough about fitness and nutrition that I would like to educate others on how they can improve their lifestyle through better fitness and nutrition...hence, my second goal: to become a certified personal trainer. In order to do that, I first need to be CPR certified, which I can do through the Red Cross or the American Heart Association for $90 on a Saturday (6h course). Then, I need to apply for a legitimate online course for personal trainers (I chose the ACSM or American College of Sport Medicine) which cost approximately $500, including study materials and cost of exam. Once I have my certification, I think I would like to apply for a job at 24 hour fitness (I LOVE their gyms and I've had really positive experiences with their trainers!). Maybe I will eventually build up my own clientele and start my own business, focusing on runners and triathletes.

The year 2012 sounds promising already.

4 comments:

Kathleen said...

Those are awesome goals, and it sounds like you have thought the process through to make them achievable. You will make a great personal trainer, Anabelle!

Chrissie said...

It's funny that we both wrote sport-related theses and we're both headed the same sporty route, career-wise. I am a licensed zumba instructor and just became certified to teach SilverSneakers, a fitness class for seniors. One of the conditions is that I must get my Group Ex/PT certification within a year, so I'll probably be looking into that soon! Also, I don't know if your local fire department offers CPR/AED courses, but I because certified through mine and it was only $25!

Chrissie said...

P.S. I also wanted to say that I am extremely impressed with your 5K wins! Way to go!

JoandDoug said...

Hey we are in Utah! Just trying to get ahold of you. :)