Friday 21 October 2011

28 years in the making

Birthdays are a great way of reminding us that there's more to life than just living. My birthday is sparking some existential questions, such as: what have I accomplished with the time I have been given? whose lives have I touched? Whose lives have touched mine and influenced who I am today? Where am I going professionally?

Anyone who knows me, knows that I love to set goals for myself...the loftier the goal, the more determined I am. I gauge my success in life with my reaching goals: running marathons, getting to a certain weight, finishing a project, having read certain books, traveling to certain areas of the world, being debt-free by a goal dated. These are all worthy goals, but they are more than a checklist: each goal we set for ourselves has within itself the potential to form and refine our character. To reach a goal, you need to develop qualities such as discipline, patience, determination, thrift, and knowledge.

As someone who struggles to recognize my self-worth, the danger is to be so consumed with the desire to reach a certain goal, that I lose sight of the bigger picture...I fail to recognize the progress, to enjoy the experience; hence, I have to rely on the help of my Heavenly Father in order to remind me that my life as a divine purpose that is not dependent on "major accomplishments", rather, it is reinforced by the little actions and thoughts that fill my every day life.

I know a handful of people who have lived quiet lives that do not seem significant in the eyes of society, because they have not held positions or received awards for their contribution; however, they are the few who touch lives for good and have a profound influence on the shaping of others' choices and character. One of my heroes was Mother Teresa. Although she did receive quite a bit of news coverage towards the end of her life, she had already spent a lifetime in service, caring for the outcast, the untouchables. She was not serving for the world to see how saintly she was, otherwise she would have given up while still a youth. She truly desired to be Christ's hands and to dedicate her life to serving those that stand in need of service.

If I could have just one wish for my birthday, it would be that I could follow her example and find satisfaction in knowing that I was able to serve in the stead of my Savior, to avoid making hasty judgments and just lose myself in the service of my family and friends, making room for more as strangers cross my path. I do not need to go to India or Africa to relieve the poor and the needy...they are all around us, they could be my next door neighbor. While I serve, I still have to be careful with where my heart is, because human nature is really good at making us believe that it's all about us, even when we are serving others...thank goodness for prayer and for the Spirit!

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

Anabelle, you have touched my life and helped me more than you'll ever know, even if it has been quite a few years since the last time I got to see you. Happy Birthday! I remembered on my own, but maybe I shouldn't publish that because it kind of goes against what you just wrote about. You are and always have been beautiful and I hope that you begin to feel more fully your eternal worth every single day, regardless of where you stand on the journey for attaining each of your goals. You're amazing!

Chrissie said...

I'd like to echo Kathleen's sentiments--you are a remarkable woman, Anabelle! And actually, it is so appropriate that she commented because both you AND she are at the top of my list of incredible people. I know we all have our ups and downs and we all struggle to see our worth from time to time, but just know that I have ALWAYS thought so incredibly, extraordinarily highly of you! Not only are you so bright and talented, but you have a special spirit that has certainly touched my life. Someone very special definitely came into the world 28 years ago. :) Happy, happy birthday!

Natalie R. said...

Happy Birthday, Anabelle!! I think you're an amazing person, you always make me wish I were better at actually setting goals! It's amazing to me all that you manage to accomplish, all the while staying upbeat and taking care of your family, too. You're such a great example, merci pour tous tes efforts! :0) Et aussi, j'espère que ton anniversaire était vraiment magnifique hier! :0)