Saturday 25 June 2011

American Fork Canyon Half-Marathon

Today, I woke up at 3:30 AM, got my running gear on, and headed out the door. I drove under the stars on deserted roads to the American Fork High School where all runners were to meet. There, we boarded on school buses that took us up the canyon. There is something depressing about driving on the race course and realizing that 13.1 miles is a long ways.
I was sitting at the front of the very first bus which left at 4:15 AM. I met a really nice mom of 2, whose kids have the same ages as mine and it was great to talk to someone before the race. This is the first time I ran on my own; in the past, I used to run with my sister or her in-laws, and Levi ran a marathon with me once. So, I enjoyed this woman's conversation, so much so that I wish I had taken her phone number and asked her to become running partners.

The starting line finally appeared, with its line of port-a-potties and a DJ to entertain us before the start. It was located at the Tibble Fork Reservoir and even though it was still dark, the snow-covered surrounding mountains were lighting up the place, giving us an idea of the breath-taking views we would see while running.
It was quite cold, being so early in the morning and in the canyon. I was patting myself in the back for wearing my sweat pants and hoodie over my running shorts and t-shirt. I proceeded to warm up and stretch, especially my left leg as I had been experiencing pain in my hamstring for the past few weeks.
While I was doing so, the DJ kept interrupting the music to make announcements and recommendations, especially concerning potty breaks. After the fourth time, I was thinking: "Ok, we got it. You don't want us to go in the bushes or use the camping ground potties. We're not children...just let us focus on the ordeal ahead and put on some good music!" Seriously, he kept on reminding us about it.

It was getting close to the start of the race (6 AM) and I had to take my outer layer off and put it in the bag labeled with my name and race number, in order to give it to the volunteers who would take it to the finish line for me. I then proceeded to find a pacer for my goal time (1:45 or 8 min/mile), who runs the race on pace to help other runners pace themselves to finish by their goal time.
The horn blew right at 6 and I shuffled our way through the starting line until the crowd of runners spread enough for me to run. As it thinned out, I was able to pick up more and more speed. The beauty of this race (aside from the scenic route) is that it's all downhill until mile 9, so I could really let gravity work in my favor. Plus the wind was in our back, pushing us forward.

By mile 2 I was in the groove. I was running under 8 min per mile and feeling comfortable; however, I started feeling a bit sick. Yesterday, I was experiencing some sharp abdominal pains and I was afraid I would have to forgo the race, but when I woke up this morning, I was feeling fine. So, the pain was coming back and I started praying because that's what I do when I find myself in a desperate situation.
I asked Heavenly Father to alleviate the pain and allow me to finish this race that I had worked so hard for. I know, it was a selfish and proud request, but at that point, I couldn't give up and I couldn't go on without His help. I kept thinking of the scripture: "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me", and slowly but surely, the pain diminish enough for me to focus on my pace again. At times, it would creep back, but I would push through it by repeating my moto: "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me", over and over again. It was so bad, that I was afraid of ingesting anything offered at the aid stations, along the race.

I just cruised through the first 9 miles, until we got out of the canyon, and then the course flattened. I kept glancing at my wristwatch to keep track of my time and kept my pace on the 8 min mark until mile 11. My thighs were getting really sore and I couldn't make them go faster. I had to stop to get some gatorade and a gu pack to have some extra energy for the finish, and started running off again. We could see the Mount Timpanogos Temple (where Levi and I got sealed), which was an indication that we were getting close to the finish line, the American Fork High School. I swear the miles get longer as we go! The last one seemed to never end, but finally, I could see the balloons and the organizers' tents.

I crossed the finish line after 1:47:51 of running. A personal best. It was two minutes over my goal time, but I had never run that fast for that long before, so I was extremely pleased. They handed out a Finisher's Medal and I proceeded to get in line for my free breakfast (French toast, yogurt, and fruit, with chocolate milk) and a free massage (yay!).

I was looking around for the woman who sat next to me on the bus, and also for my friend Joanna who had signed up for the race. Just as I was leaving, I heard someone call out my name. It was Joanna! Joanna and I used to run together right after I had Eve and it was so good to see her today.
I got in the car and called Levi to tell him the news and drove home barefoot as my feet were aching (I might lose a couple of toenails). The funny thing is that as soon as I got home, the abdominal pain started again and I have been lying in the fetal position ever since! The Lord really answers prayers...I should have asked for permanent healing :)

The race was in support of those fighting cancer and I had the honor of wearing the name of a neighbor and friend battling prostate cancer. It made this race so much more meaningful and I wish him a full recovery!

Next goal: Run the Layton Marathon in under 3:40 in order to qualify for Boston!

6 comments:

Chrissie said...

I am so proud of you, Anabelle! Sevak is also hoping to qualify for the Boston. He runs the Pocatello marathon in September. Keep up the great work!

Emily said...

AHH! You're AMAZING! I'm so proud of you! Good luck! You can totally do it! xo Je t'aime. Bisou.

Lisa said...

Wow.
I am so glad you posted this. I can't imagine the feelings you actually had. Just amazing. I'm sorry about your pains. That reminded me. My great friend just ran the recent ragnar race. She was diagnosed with pneumonia on the Wed. before. She did everything she physically could for herself. She found that same scripture you thought of and another one and just kept thinking.... Through Him, all things are possible. She ran and accomplished what she wanted to. It's crazy what we can actually do. Especially when we have someone there to guide us through everything. I'm happy you accomplished your goal. You did great!I hope you are feeling well tomorrow. :)

Becky said...

You go girl! I don't think my little legs could take me 1 or 2 miles at that pace! You're awesome.

Natalie R. said...

Wow, that's so incredible! I don't know how anyone manages to run so much, I'm very impressed that you ran so long and at such a good pace! I hope your abdominal pains have gone away and that you're feeling better now. Good luck with your next race!!!

Rebecca said...

You are amazing! And how incredible that you are now trying to qualify for Boston. I know you can do it!

I love that we are blogging buddies now. :) I enjoyed reading through your posts, you are such a great writer! My blog is http://jacobnrebecca.blogspot.com. Send me your e-mail to rebeccalee87(at)hotmail.com and I'll send you an invite!